Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Incident at Bombay-Flash Fiction by Laxmi Hariharan

The technology of thought travel was invented and lost here. A secret place—hidden away, sunk in mud, covered with cigarette butts, cigar ash and popcorn kernels—where the film of the world nevertheless continues to re-run, ad infinitum.

It is said that Marcodolo, the legendary space explorer who had bridged the gaps between the eight galaxies, had one day managed to tear himself away from the adoring crowds to Fivepoints. To weep and meditate.

For six days and nights, he prays to the Almighty Lord Nu Vish standing on one foot, pleading for the boon of evergreen technology. Finally appeased, the Lord opens his third eye, and in one single beam of pure energy reveals the secret, direct, in-vitro to Marcodolo.

The images unravel in his mind, telling him to go to the place referred to as Bombay. Here he devises the optimum way to manifest the art of time technology, as a monad of pure energy suspended in mid-air. Marco uses it to build the very first gateway to other dimensions.

His masterpiece is a large canvas of pure non-destroyable material, onto which the monad projects colorful images, purging itself of the conscience of world chaos. This is how it continues to this day. Predictions, earthquakes, box-office successes, celebrity deaths and the birth of new stars. It all plays out here on the evergreen silver screen. A never-ending projection discovered by those for whom the time for travel has arrived.

For Marco, this triggers off his dormant gene, making him the first Half Life. The leader of the pack who achieves the very first recorded ascension, in accelerated time. The chosen ones summoned to Bombay. What would it be like, to change the past and re-write destiny?




Inspired by Indian mythology, The Destiny of Shaitan is a coming of age story, painted against the backdrop of a post-apocalyptic world.

When Tiina accompanies Yudi on a mission to save the universe from the ruthless Shaitan, she seeks more than the end of the tyrant; she seeks herself. Driven by greed and fear for his own survival, Shaitan bulldozes his way through the galaxy, destroying everything in his path.  Tiina wants Yudi to destroy Shaitan, thus fulfilling the prophecy of Shaitan being killed by his son. But she finds that Yudi is hesitant to do so. The final showdown between Tiina, Yudi, and Shaitan has unexpected consequences, for Shaitan will do anything in his power to win the fight.  The stakes are high and the combatants determined. Will Shaitan's ultimate destiny be fulfilled?


Shaitan is a ripping yarn and a gripping read and a must have for every fan of the genre.


Laxmi Hariharan I am a writer, technophile & dare I say, a futurist, with a penchant for chai and growing eye-catching flowers.  Wanderlust drove me out of my home country India to travel across Asia, and I lived in Singapore and Hong Kong before coming home to London.  My writing is inspired by Indian mythology; I draw from the ancient Indian stories, which my grandmother narrated to me as a child. It is in acknowledging my roots that I found my voice. When not writing I love to walk in the woods with my soul-mate, and indulging my inner geek. In this blog, I write on that which I have an opinion, including why the West is the new East, and the inspirational avatars I have met on my journey. My debut novel, The Destiny of Shaitan went to #2 on Amazon US kindle epic fantasy charts. Check it out here http://tiny.cc/szqsew.  I love to hear from my readers. If you like my writing, and would like to be profiled on my blog, then do email me at justonegin@gmail.com.

1 comment: