Thursday, October 11, 2012

Brewin's favourite works of “dark” literature


The world of dark fantasy, the supernatural and the occult have always held a strong attraction for me. To explore the worlds “beyond the veil” and revel in the supernatural mysteries beyond “mundane reality”. I have always been a lover of fantasy, science-fiction and horror, but it is the horror genre that I tend to come back to most.

I’m not really sure why it is, but I’m proud to say that the first story I ever wrote when I was six, was a horror story called The Dangerous World where all my family members, myself included, died as a result of various disasters. Nor can I really explain why most of the stories I wrote throughout my childhood were horror stories filled with demons, undead and gore, and usually ended with the death of the protagonist at the hands of some nefarious entity.

I wasn’t a disturbed or angry child you see, and I was able to live quite a privileged life where I could pursue my passions. And to this day, the most common theme in my dreams is one of horror (usually involving zombies, ghosts, aliens or demons), but to me these are not nightmares but “adventures” I look forward to.

So I guess it should come as little surprise then, that many of my favourite novels are works of “dark” literature. However, to contradict the title of this article, I’m not sure if I can cite one as my “favourite”, so instead I’ll just list a few that come to mind:


Some of my favourite works of “dark” literature.

I guess one of the things that all these works have in common is that although they are set in “our world”, they invoke the fantastic (and horrific) worlds of the author’s own imagination, and are told with such exquisite detail and dread, that one feels as if they could exist. Such works were able to transport my imagination to realms beyond this one, which to me at least, were far more interesting…

The other thing that strikes me about these works, is that although all of them could be called “supernatural horror”, none of them deal with what are to me, the worn-out clichéd horror icons of supernatural horror: zombies, vampires and werewolves. Instead they deal with original creations of the author’s own imagination, which to me are far more appealing. Not only that, but horror dealing with forces from other realities, dimensions and stars, seems more plausible to me than “zombies, werewolves and vampires,” however rooted in the mythology of differing cultures they might be.

But hey that’s just me. You might be reading this and think “But I love Twilight!” haha. That’s okay of course, it just doesn’t work for me :)

(Ghosts, spirits and the like I treat somewhat differently, for I perceive them as real, and they have terrified me at times, but that’s a bit of tangent).

About the Author

Brewin' (with or without the apostrophe) is the pseudonym of Andrew Drage. He graduated in 1998 with a first-class degree from La Trobe University, majoring in zoology, philosophy and statistics. He has worked as a Senior Research Scientist at the Insectarium of Victoria in his native Australia, publishing on ant behaviour and sampling methodologies.

His debut novel, Evermore: An Introduction, was published to critical acclaim in 2001, and has been republished twice since. The Dark Horde, is his second fiction novel, published for the first time in 2012. Based in Melbourne, he is also a respected IT developer and analyst, and has been editor and designer for the first four books of the highly acclaimed Gamebook Adventures interactive fiction series. This role has culminated in the creation of his own work, Gamebook Adventures: Infinite Universe, released in 2012 on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. Find him at: http://www.thebrewin.com/

a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment